Faith · Mom life

A Trip to the ER and Other Updates

It’s been an interesting couple of weeks. Though, I bet I could always say that, because when is a week ever “normal?” What I know I can say, is that I am thankful that no matter the circumstances, God is faithful. When things are busy, overwhelming, or just plain scary, God is faithful 100% of the time.

That being said, I thought I’d give you a little update on life. Plus, I feel like my brain is too fried to write about anything else.

First, our car broke down, which is always bad news. I guess if the car had to break, it probably happened at the best possible time. My husband took the car to work that day (we only have the one car), and it broke while he was pulling into his parking garage. Thankfully, no one was injured and no other cars were involved. It could have been Desirae and me driving on the freeway, but I’m glad to say it wasn’t. Everyone is safe. God is faithful. The incredible thing is that the auto company paid for everything – the tow, all the damages incurred, and the rental we had for two weeks – because the car broke due to a recalled part in the vehicle. I don’t know how in the world we would have paid to fix the car. Although it was definitely a hassle dealing with everything, it couldn’t have turned out any better. God is faithful, yet again.

Then last Thursday, I took Desirae to the doctor for her check up and some scheduled vaccinations. Yes, I am pro-vaccines. Whether the vaccines are delayed or on the regular schedule, that’s up to you. I just think children should receive their immunizations. I’m not here to fight about being pro or anti vaccines, but if you ever wondered where I stand, now you know.

Des being a trooper after we settled in to the hospital.

But I digress.

Desirae never had any issues with her previous vaccines, except that now she hates being in a room with a doctor because she is afraid of getting poked. Hey, I don’t blame her. Even as an adult, I’m afraid of needles. But this time around, Des had some issues. First, her leg was severely sore. She wouldn’t stand or use her leg in any capacity, and she cried if you touched her leg at all. Desirae just sat on the couch with some toys and snacks in between naps, which, if you knew Des, is definitely not normal.

Her sensitive leg was followed by a high fever. I wasn’t too worried. I know fevers are a common reaction to vaccines, and there were no other warning signs. I monitored her for the next 24 hours and administered rotating doses of Advil and Tylenol. Neither of us got much sleep. On Friday evening, her fever spiked. I thought things were getting better, but when she woke up from her nap her fever was at 105.5. I thought I must have used the thermometer incorrectly. I got her out of bed, stripped off her onsie, took her into my room, and tried taking her temperature again. The thermometer read 105.7, 105.3, 105.4. Every time I took her temperature, it was alarmingly high, and at that temperature, bad things can happen. So, I gave her another dose of Advil, called my husband, and drove her to the ER.

Aaron left work early and met me at the hospital. Thankfully, we were administered right away. We didn’t wait at all. Again, God is faithful.

A nurse took Desirae’s vitals and set us up in an exam room. Desirae was given more medicine to bring down the fever, and we waited. According to the doctor, it is common for especially high fevers to develop on this particular dosage of this particular vaccine. Our doctor kept saying this dosage was evil. Needless to say, I agree with her.

Desirae’s fever finally when down, but her heart rate didn’t. Since she hadn’t been feeling weel, Des hadn’t been eating or drinking much over the past 24 hours so now she was dehydrated. We tried to get her to drink fluids in the exam room, but she wouldn’t take anything, so we chose to give her an IV. That was the worst part.

Late night snuggles with Daddy while we waited for her heart rate to go down.

Unfortunately for Des, she inherited my tiny veins. That, on top of her baby chub, made it difficult to place the IV. Imagine holding down your screaming, crying, sick baby, who is terrified of anyone in scrubs, while she is staring at you hoping you’ll make this all go away. Then imagine doing that five times. Yes, it’s as horrible as you think. The RN finally called for someone from the IV team to come and administer the last and successful attempt. Now I know that in the future, I need to request the IV team on the first try.

After filling Des with fluids and administering more medicine to bring down the fever a second time, her heart rate finally went down. Seven hours after we arrived, we were discharged and free to go home.

I’m happy to report that Des is feeling much better. Her fever broke on Saturday. Now she is fighting a cough, which doesn’t surprise me considering her lack of sleep and spending an entire evening in a hospital. Other than that, she is back to her happy, busy self. God is faithful.

Wedding date

Since Desirae was feeling better, I was able to accompany Aaron to his boss’s wedding. It was nice to get dressed up, get out of the house, and spend some time with my husband after being stuck at home with a sick baby for three days. Aaron and I had a great time. It was a much needed break.

On Sunday we celebrated Father’s Day, which didn’t go quite as planned because of Desirae developing a cough and needing sleep. We kept things pretty chill, which is Aaron’s style anyway, and had a great day as a family. Desirae colored a picture (also known as random scribbling) for Aaron. Everyone got a nap, we had barbecue for dinner, and watched a solid man movie after Des was asleep for the night.

Now, here we are on yet another Tuesday of another week. Desirae is on the mend. We picked up our car from the auto shop yesterday. Now we’re waiting for the arrival of our hospital bill. But I know that God is faithful.

I was worried how we would pay for the car repairs, but God provided. I was worried I would freak out when I took Des to the ER, but God kept me calm. I was afraid Desirae had developed an infection, but there were no major health issues and God is continually healing her. I’m concerned about the size of our pending hospital bill, but I’m thankful God has provided us with great medical insurance. God continues to protect our family and provide us with everything we need.

In all this craziness, the most astounding thing is that God is perfectly faithful. That is hard so for me to grasp because I am so faithless. Even with my best intentions, I’m not always true to my word. But God is always true to His word. He never messes up in His faithfulness. I am so thankful that He is God, and I am not. He cares for us in everything, from a long night in the ER to the much needed night out. These past couple of weeks are the just tiniest testimony of God’s vast and never-ending faithfulness. Even when things are rough, I know I can be thankful for a God who is loving, trustworthy, and forever faithful.

May God be given all the glory.

Daddy and daughter relaxing together on Father’s Day.

4 thoughts on “A Trip to the ER and Other Updates

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s